Friday, February 29, 2008

Going Home

Well, even though things aren't firmly decided we are strongly leaning towards going home. Dana has been offered an amazing opportunity with work in an industry he has dreamed about since we left. And our step-dad, Al, has offered to build us a house. FOR FREE! Well, not completely free, buy pretty much. Can I just say about that, this man amazes me. He pretty much walked into our family by marrying Carleen who had three kids of her own and has not only adopted them (metaphorically) but also their spouses. I have always felt like family with Al. He has such a caring and generous heart. Sometimes I am just taken back by his amazingness. Anywho... so how can you really say no to that? Not to mention that Summerland has always been 'home' to me. It's where I have wanted to raise my children. Playing with their cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Walking the same streets I walked at a child. Going to the same schools. Same parks. Same beaches. Surrounded by the same amazing people. Not to mention how much I miss family. I honestly didn't think I would as much as I do. Silly things like, long talks with Trish, sewing with mom, Phil and Sha arguing at family dinner, Kaili rocking Ava or Kynan, Rob playing his guitar, and Shane going off on his tangents (well not completely missed but he is missed).

But leaving Regina, has been one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make. Even more so than leaving Summerland. I don't know why, but I love it here too. The prairies are beautiful and anyone who try and say differently haven't been or experienced this majestic land its people. As soon as we moved here, the fields of wheat and farms glowed in the sun, welcoming us from afar. The people welcomed us into their families saying that we would never have to be alone. I have never felt so accepted. The neat thing about living here is that people saw me for me. No preconceived ideas about who I was because they knew me in high school. No history, just me. It has been really nice to be 'seen' that way. And of course the most important thing I have gained out here, a renewed faith in Christ. It has made our lives richer and more fulfilled and Dana and I ultimately know that wherever we go we will be blessed because of Christ's never-changing love.

Going home. Bitter-sweet. But I will say that I am very excited for all the wonderful things that will come from it. To name a few: Ava's 1st Birthday on the beach, Shalane walking down the aisle to her prince (or ball and chain that she refers to him as :) Phil, helping them move into their new home, Jaia's birthday, the McCallum Reunion, Country Markets with my mom, learning to knit with mom, all of Trisha and Greg's wedding bliss, and so so much more.

4 comments:

Karen said...

It sounds like everything happens for a reason, Susie -- both your move out there and possibly the one home. Not easy decisions for sure, but good for you for putting yourself out there!

Jen said...

You sound at peace with your decision. Good for you guys.

I was going to say that you guys sure did rediscover your faith out here so it was not all a loss but you said that yourself.

Wishing you all the best with your move back!

When do you guys plan to move, by the way?

Susie said...

We are hoping to be out in BC by May for Shalane's wedding.

Trisha said...

I'm glad to hear that the planning seems to be going well. It is a busy time moving, but it is also rewarding when it is something you want. Let us know if there is anything we can do to ease the transition.