Friday, November 9, 2007

It Evoked an Emotion




When I say it evoked an emotion, I mean it really hit a cord. Tonight Dana and I watched the Michael Moore movie, Sicko. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It was very thought provoking. Thought provoking until he interviewed a woman who shared her story of when her 1 and half year old daughter ran a fever and we she brought her into emergency she was refused care because her insurer didn't cover the hospital she went to. Because of the delay in transfer, her daughter got worse and worse until she went into cardiac arrest and died. It made me think of the time that we rushed Kynan to the hospital with a fever at 4 am in June of 2006. He was hardly breathing and was burning up. We were admitted immediately and he was given the care he needed.... free of cost (outside the cost of our taxes and the medications they perscribed). But the point is that he was cared for, not refused, and in essence saved his life. I cried after hearing that story. It hit home a little to close. I am not sure what my views are on health care. To be honest I have never paid that much attention. But as a human being, a mom, a wife.... I would NEVER want to hold my dying child in my arms, helpless, because of something as insignificant as what hospital I was at. Just a thought.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Mike just finished watching Sicko and really enjoyed it and appreciated the different perspective. He said I'd like it too.

It is wonderful that we can and do have health care as easily as we do yet it would be even better if it were more based on "preventative health care" in education rather than waiting til a crisis strikes.

Glad to hear via Dana's post that all is going well and that you are developing and enjoying the friendships along the way.

By the way, what does "MOPS" stand for?

Hugs

Bloggy Mama said...

Amen. Another thing to ba thankful for.. taxes that pay Health Care for everyone in my country.

Stephanie and Brad said...

Brad and I just watched that movie a few weeks ago, and yeah, I cried in some of those parts. Makes you SO thankful that you don't even think about having to pay for care. I totalyl don't mind paying our taxes, so someone else's baby doesn't die. We were also proud with the part about Canada! especially being away from home, it was nice to see a little bit of Canada.