Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Purpose for Waiting...

I thought I would share a little bit about why we are waiting a while before making our decision to move back to Summerland or not. The major reason has nothing to do with 'sticking to our plan to move out here' or 'giving up too soon' or anything like that. It has nothing to do with building a house or not, or even being closer to family. The reason we wait is that we are waiting for God to show us his will. Some of my readers may find this hoakey and others may be able to empathize with it, but here is our story.

When Dana and I decided to move out here, there were many reasons that rationalized the decision for us. It is cheaper to live out here, a fresh beginning, strengthening our family, and distancing ourselves to find ourselves, but truly we have always felt that our move out here has been a leap of faith. That was further confirmed when we started attending Rosewood Alliance Church and found a different kind of family. Attending this church, opportunities have been opened to us that we never had before. Ministering, sharing our talents, and deepening our faith. We have always felt that God led us to Regina for a purpose.

Now, as we discuss moving back to Summerland, we not only consider things like finances, jobs, and family, but we majorly need to try and follow 'God's Will' for our lives. I am sharing this because I have never been one to seriously consider this. Of course, being a Christian, you believe that God has a plan for you and that you should follow it. But so often we pray and then ultimately make the decision on our own. I don't want to do that this time. So I have been praying yes, but also reading. Reading the Bible, seeking its wisdom. Reading recommended books by our pastor. Reading articles that discuss Finding God's Will. And praying some more. Another thing that two people have independently suggested is sending a fleece to God. Not a sweater..... but a condition. I know that sounds harsh, but I have been told that when you feel so lost and confused and need to make a decision. Sending a fleece is an option. My girlfriend said that when she was contemplating moving, she told God that she needed three things to happen in order for her to know that it was His Will. She needed a job that fulfilled certain requirements (part time on weekends and one day during the week for $10/ hr). She needed to be accepted into her college of choice (the deadline for admissions had already lapsed). And something else.... me bad a forgot what the third thing was. All three conditions were answered and she knew she was meant to move and she did so with a peace knowing she was following God's will. On the flip side, our pastor shared with me a story of job offer he received to move to Florida. He had just started pastoring a church in Kelowna when he got a call that offered a job in Florida. This church not only was going to pay all his expenses, but also pay 3X his current salary and put a down payment on a house for them. Not to mention that beautiful weather. Well, it was very tempting, but he knew he had to pray about this difficult decision. He finally sent a fleece to God saying that he would take the job if they were willing to wait one year while they prepared his current church for their decision. While, after praying, he was informed that they were only willing to wait 6 months, and that is all he needed to know to know that it wasn't God's Will.

Here is a passage from the book I am reading that made me feel at peace, but also uneasy as I read it"

"On the surface it might appear more spiritual to seek God's leading rather than to just go ahead and do the obvious thing. But it isn't. If God gives you a watch, are you honoring Him more by asking him what time it is or by simply looking at your watch. If God gives a sailor a compass, does the sailor honor Him more by kneeling in a frenzy of prayer to persuade God to show him which way to go, or should he just steer according to the compass. Except for those things that are specifically commanded or forbidden in the Scriptures, it is God's will that we be free to exercise our own intelligent choice.... In almost everything that touches our everyday life on earth, God is pleased when we're pleased. He wills that we be as free as birds to soar and sing our Maker's praise without anxiety. God's choice for us may not only be one but rather any one of a score of possible choices. The man or woman who is wholly and joyously surrendered to Christ can't make a wrong choice- any choice will be the right one."

How amazing is that. Any choice is the right one. But there is a catch. You have to be 'wholly' surrendered to Christ. I started questioning. Do I completely trust the Lord with our lives. To provide for us when times have gotten really tough. In all honestly, I am not sure I have. I think it is natural for us to pray 'God please help me', but when He doesn't answer right away or doesn't answer our prayers in the way we thought He would, we take the reigns sorta speak.

In the book I am reading, 'How to Discover The Will of God' by George Sweeting, it also gives four simple steps to knowing the will of God. Here they are:

1. Seek His forgiveness and receive the salvation that Jesus offers you.

2. Surrender your life wholly to Christ. Let Him be your Lord, as well as your Savior.

3. Separate yourself from the world. Stop pursuing its goals and seeking its pleasure.

4. Be sincere in your motives. Do not play games with God. Submit your desires to Him, and He will reveal His glorious plan for your life.

Number one, check. Number two, sorta check. Number three, needs work. Number four, unsure. Separate yourself from the world, in my opinion, means to make sure that you are not being greedy and the things you long for ultimately don't out weigh your longing for a relationship with Christ. God doesn't care if we have a big house, nice furniture, ect. He cares about our soul, our salvation. He gave his only son to ensure that we are freed from our sins and have everlasting life. Sometimes we say this so lightly, but look at your child (if you have one). Could you do the same? I know I couldn't. And to be sincere. Of course I feel I am sincere, but I have to admit, the thought of having a new house filled with pretty things and Dana making more money is pretty tempting.

One more thing I want to share and then I will end this ridiculously long post:

"This, through prayer of God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to deliberate judgement according to the best of my ability and knowledge; and if my mind is this at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving more important issues, I have found this method always effective."
-George Mueller

That's it. That's all I wanted to share. Again, for some this is hoakey, and you can leave it if you want. But this is what Dana and I have been stewing over.

3 comments:

Cindi said...

I don't think it's hokey. I think it's extremely wise! Moving across the country is not something to be taken lightly. From what I've read, The two of you did not move to Saskatchewan on a whim. I searched out "Wait on the Lord" on an on-line Bible and thought these might encourage you.

Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

So Joshua said to the Israelites: "How long will you wait before you begin to take possession of the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, has given you?
Joshua 18:3

Wait for the LORD and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land;
Psalm 37:34

Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts.
Isaiah 26:8

I hope God blesses your Family as you await the revelation of His will for you and that you feel peace as you wait.

Cindi said...

Sorry it was so long!

wandi said...

I'm so proud of you and Dana for seeking what God would want for you instead of what you want. I know you will be blessed for it. I know what it is like to want to be near family and what it's like to wait on the Lord. I will be praying for you both as you seek God's will in tis matter. I just have to say that it has been so wonderful to have you here in Regina and will be wonderful to have you continue to be here for a very long time. You and your family are so precious and a very vital part of the Rosewood park family. But like I say I wish God to give you wisdom where ever you are. Love ya very much
Wandi