Thursday, January 22, 2009

My emotions overcome me and tears creep up in my eyes, as she sings a lullaby to her child. She is sharing her soul through her music, but does she realize how much she has touched me. Her song, her story, her heart.

On Wednesday, we had two ladies come in and share their music with us. It was very touching, but even their stories are miraculous. One lady touched me specifically. She has three boys and her and her family live in a small, northern, native community where there is 80% Unemployment and 80% Substance Abuse. One of those communities I heart alot about working with the Coalition, but never really felt personally touched my. Dara's songs often were inspired by her community and the children who live there. These children, start off with basically no chance to get out or change their surroundings. It is proven that most of these kids will most likely be part of the cycle. But Dara shared that when they moved to this community she had a choice, to close her door and protect her family from this obviously dangerous community. Or to "open her door" and open her heart. She chose the ladder and has since started a bible study for women and helped the youth start a small youth group called Y2Y. She was thinking one afternoon about what prayer request she had for the bible study and she decided to ask the other ladies to pray for her son's potty training as it was not going well. That night came and the ladies shared their requests and when it came to Dara's turn, she wide-eyed said she didn't have a request. She then shared with us that while her concern was relative to her life, the other's put her concerns into perspective. Some of the other requests were; abuse, alcoholic abuse, drugs, eviction, ect.... She shared some of her photos from this small community and these individuals who live in the middle of distress without hope of overcoming it, looked happy... at least for the moment that the picture was taken. As I looked closer there was one commonality in every picture, Dara.

What a strong mom this Dara. I don't know her two ways from Sunday, but I can visually see that God has put a calling on her heart. She is confident, seems to know what her purpose is and what direction she is going. Two of her boys came for the presentation and she seemed to be an excellent mom. It got me thinking about who I am to my children. Am I a strong mom? Do I provide a safe haven for them? Do they feel God's calling in my life? Have I taken the time to ensure that this is so. Do I look to my kids for purpose? Or to my Heavenly Father? These are all questions I asked myself while listening to Dara sing. Pretty powerful music to have such deep questions come to mind.

In the New Year, I wrote a list of things I wanted to do this year. Two of them were volunteer and learn. Last week I joined the Design Committee at church which basically means I am helping host once a week. I get to do some public speaking, spend some time learning about scripture in a small group, and volunteering.... Also, I am enrolling in a photography course in April. This will be my first college class since 2001. I am pretty nervous, but excited to be finally investing in myself for a change. I also looked forward to the fall, and if all goes well, I want to take the 2nd Photography Course and the first of three Interior Design course. I have spent some time creating some new things: bracelets, some earrings, scrapbooking, and quilting.... So I would say I am well on my way this year.... now if I could only shed a few pounds while I was at.

PS: I am wondering if there is anyone out there who still reads my blog. I average about 2 comments per post and I was just wondering if I was writing for myself or if there are others getting anything out of this blog? I like writing, so I will continue either way. I was just curious.

6 comments:

Jen said...

You know I'm here.

Sounds like you've made some great progress this year Susie. Keep it up!

Bloggy Mama said...

I agree with Jen, sounds like great progress and great things to look forward to.
I'm here ;)

margaret said...

I read your blog Susie, in fact I check it often for new posts. Miss you lots, got your cards yesterday and thanks for the picture cd. We love you, Dana and the kids. Hugs

Kathy said...

Im here. Take care Susie

Karmyn said...

I read! You don't me, nor I you, I just found you through a series of links - but I've really appreciated your openness in your faith and what God has taught you about trusting him - I enjoy reading!

Lindsay said...

hey I still read. I'm looking forward to seeing how much you grow this year.