Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mommy Diaries: Growth


In November I did a post to the first chapter in this book I am reading with my MOPS group. Today we did a group discussion on Growth (the 2nd Chapter). I actually hadn't read the chapter so I couldn't really relate to where the discussion was going. So I came home, took a bath, and read the 2nd chapter in my book. **Just a side note: I am reading like 4 books. I really am a slow reader, but not that slow.**

Anyway, I really identified with this chapter. It talked about how mothering makes us grow beyond our comfort zones, and stretches us as women. It talked about how God is truly the only one in control of our lives and how we become more of the woman that God wants us to be within the daily adventures of mothering.

In this chapter, one mom shared a story of how her and her daughter went boating one summer and were in the middle of this river. Her daughter and a few other passengers jumped into the cool depths and then looked back to encourage her to do the same. This was apparently out of her zone and she declined. Her daughter begged and pleaded saying that she would like it. But still she refused. She then wrote that combined with the look on her daughters face and the fear of losing that child like play with her children.... she jumped. She said it felt exhilarating and totally worth it. She said from that moment on she made an effort to say "yes" even to things that scare her. Because of her kids, she was pushed beyond her comfort zone and experienced things that she never dreamed she could do.

My own kids have pushed me in many ways. The one that springs to mind immediately is actually unexpected. They have pushed me to just be. In highschool, I was a very busy gal, always on the go. I had an insane schedule filled with sports, volunteering, leadership, and community involvement. I always felt that is who I am, busy. But my kids stretched me in the sense of just stopping and enjoying little pleasures. Like play dough on a cold winter day and how a globby can look like a dinosaur. How swimming in the bath can make me giggle. And when your daughter learns to say "Helileuia" at 19 months, it blows your mind. They have also stretched me to find myself amongst the chaos. To love myself beyond stretch marks and sagging boobs (too much info?). Granted this is a continual process for me, I am so blessed to have my kids unconditional love and support. God truly knows me better than I know myself. He knows what I need in this life, and who I need to grow to be.

So my question to you other moms is, how have your children stretched you? Made you grow? Has it been a positive experience? Or possibly challenging? Let me know if you identify with this chapter.

3 comments:

Carleen said...

I guess my biggest stretch as a Mom has come when you and Dana decided living here in Summerland wasn't in your hearts. Having my children all tucked under my wings has always made me a happy Mama. I wanted a Fairytale life...you know seeing your Grandbabies grow up everyday in front of you, just being there for you guys when it was needed. Then realizing that was MY dream and no one elses. The choice wasn't mine! But also knowing I had to be happy if you 4 were happy in your other Province.So yes this is my biggest stretch trying to figure out how to be a Mom, Mother In Law, and Baba LONG DISTANCE!
Love you ALL.
Carlee/Mom/Baba xxxx

Susie said...

I am glad that you are trying. I am sure that Dana and I will have moments like that to come with our own children. Love you Carleen.

Susie said...

I am glad that you are trying. I am sure that Dana and I will have moments like that to come with our own children. Love you Carleen.