Thursday, April 17, 2008

When Giving Gives Back

Well, last night and all morning today we have been at the church volunteering for their semi annual 'Clothesline'. People at the church donate unwanted clothes, shoes, accessories, and toys and the volunteers sort, hang and display them for three days while the public gets to shop.... for free. It's a great program. Dana actually is the one who convinced me to volunteer; otherwise, I am sure that I would have been home staring at empty boxes trying to get the motivation while Kynan watches 'Monster Trucks' for the umpteenth billionth time. Last night we were the for three hours. Kynan played with the other kids, Dana had Ava in the backpack and hung clothes, while I worked in the kids section. This morning I went back with Ava on my back and Kynan running around again. I was so amazed by all the giving that was happening at that church. While I pulled out countless items with tags still on it, brand name items... some really nice stuff, their were half a dozen other ladies doing the same thing, and a few more ladies in the kitchen making us lunch. Before I knew it, we had been there for 5 hours, and both Kynan and Ava hadn't complained once. That was a miracle in my opinion. So then I decided to head out when someone said: "Susie, have you looked for yourself?" Now secretly I had been shopping in my head and made little piles of clothes in the kids section and knew exactly where I hung up the items I liked. I asked the lady if we were aloud and of course she said take as much as you want. So I did. I got a huge score for Ava, a few for Kynan, and my new favorite shirt. However, in the process someone scooped Kynan's new boots probably thinking they were part of the lot. Kynan didn't care. He just walked to the car.... barefoot, but with a new transformer toy (that he is now having a nap with). But other than the fantastic loot we scored, I was so touched when a lady came up to me and said that she is on disability and isn't working. She can't afford new clothes so ministry is such a gift. She just kept saying thank you, thank you so much as the tears started to well in her eyes. I didn't really now what to say or do so I hugged her and said I was so glad she was blessed by it. And she whispered 'God bless you'. I felt like that was the true prize today. To be involved in something that touched someone so deeply, even if it is just that one who appreciates it that much. And to have her make me feel so loved in that moment. So when you give, you usually always get something back.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Rosewood's a pretty cool place. This was one of my favorite outreach ministries.

Sue said...

Very cool. "Giving back" seems to becoming the "new" phrase these days. I think whatever we can "give" is a great thing to do. We live in a society of abundance yet, people are still suffering. I think what we can do will make a difference in people's lives even if it's just one person whom we've helped.