Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hospitality

Today at MOPS we were discussing hospitality and what it means to be hospitable. I know for me, and based on todays discussion so do alot of women, sometimes our insecure about our homes and inviting people in. Not only are our homes so personal, it's where we hang our masks on the hook and are we truly are, but sometimes we feel insecure because of our physical home. Either we feel like it is not big enough, not nice enough, not enough seating, ect ect... I know I have felt this way. We have been studying this book called 'Dwelling' that talks about making your house a home and everything that surrounds the home. I am really enjoying it and today touched my heart especially. I love to entertain. I love having people over. Baking for the. Cooking for them (even though I am not the best cook). Loving on people. We don't always have that opportunity. Family get togethers usually being held somewhere else, friends usually somewhere out, but we did always have a monthly dinner and poker evening for Dana's guy buddies that I miss hosting dearly. It was never anything fancy, usually everyone pitched in for dinner, we laughed over dessert, watched a movie and then the boys retreated downstairs or outside for poker. I loved it. Of course Kynan, and then Ava, were always under foot and those boys quickly became uncles to our children. Today I was particularly touched because we talked about what the true definition on hospitality was. One lady said that hospitality is blessing people who enter our home. Another said it was caring for those who come in as if they were at a hospital, meeting their needs above all else. Either way, it didn't matter what stuff was in our home or how big it was or new, what mattered most was the company. The person. So my question to you is:
a) Do you like hosting people in your home? And if yes, what sort of things do you do to make people feel welcome?
b) If your house could convey a feeling, what would it be?

4 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

Great post, Susie. I want to encourage you to discover your spiritual gifts... if you have access to a survey, try it out. If you don't, drop me a note and I'll mail you one. My ladies' study just did it and it is really neat to see where the things I want to do fit in with God's plan. Anyhow, I love having people in my home. My home is my mission centre. I think that the feeling I would want people to get is "comfort". They are welcome and I want them to feel comfortable.

Jen said...

I don't like having people over, to be completely honest. Especially for meals. I always feel pressure to have an amazing meal and usually end up messing up some part of it.

I never care about the size of our house or anything like that. That part doesn't bother me. I always like it to be really clean though.

Glad you are enjoying MOPS.

wandi said...

I do enjoy entertaining but I am so insecure as to wether my guests have a good time or not. I love to cook for others too. I guess I should just throw caution to the wind and just do it. Great post Susie.

Jill said...

I LOVE hosting. It's one of my favorite things about holidays. I love trying new dishes (not always a success though) and setting my table and spoiling people. Trevor and I LOVE having people over for a meal and games. Great post!