Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Little Big Man

I just wanted to pause in my day and reflect on what an amazing little big man I have growing up right before my very eyes. This man has not only potty trained himself in the last two weeks (including sleeping through the night last night with no diaper), but he has also weened himself off his bottle and refuses to kiss me in public. Where did my little baby go? I am not complaining. I have enjoyed Kynan as a sweet little bambino in my arms and I am enjoying his exploring and inquisitive toddler years. He just seems to be growing up so fast. His vocabulary is uncanning as he communicates using words I had no idea he knew. He is so much like Dana it is unbelievable, from not being a dessert guy to not peeing in a public washroom. I laugh because in alot of ways he is like me too, loves to cuddle and is very strong willed. He loves pretending..... pretending to be a monster, dinosaur, a cool car, a truck, a ghost.... anything. He loves other kids. We were having our Sunday family lunch at Eastside Mario's (which has unknowingly become a habit), and he walked up to a neighbouring table that also had kids eating, introduced himself, sat down and starting talking about toys. He yurns to be around people and cries whenever we leave. Church is a passion for him. Of course the sunday school volunteers are wonderful and he always comes home with little creations from Sunday school, but whenever it is time to go- he cries and plants his feet firmly on the floor. His hands are always down his pants. I honestly tend to ignore it, but sometimes when you are in line at the grocery store and the clerk starts giggling- it's kinda hard to. So we have started a 'private part, private place' rule in our house. Back to the potty training, the other day I walked in to the bathroom to see that Kynan had pooh smeared down his legs and across his forehead. Yes, that's right. He had not called for help or anything like that. He was neglected. When I asked him what happened and offered to help, he said" "No! I wipe myself!" Which seems to be a theme, if he is not asking what something is, he is demanding to do it himself. I am so proud of him. Sometimes it is a little frustrating (especially cleaning up pooh smears) and things take a little longer (running through Rona trying to find a washroom in time), but I am so proud of his independence. I do feel a little seperation anxiety as he ventures out and doesn't rely on me as much, and I am sure that will only get worse as his independence grows, but I know that he is going to be an amazing young man. So proud and happy that he is becoming the person he is. And these baby steps are all part of it.

**PHOTO DISCLAIMER** I apologize for no pictures as I have lost our card reader in the midst of all the reno junk. Forgive me. Soon it shall be revealed**

1 comment:

Jen said...

Great job on the potty training Kynan! Now when you guys get to Summerland you can enroll him in playschool!!