Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Nursing Honeymoon

After having a delightful tea and play date with my good friend Jen yesterday, and sharing my woes of breastfeeding gone bad tales, she shared with me the idea of a "Nursing Honeymoon". For the last two months, we have been supplementing Elijah with formula (gasp) as I have felt like I have not had enough milk. And I know there are some mom's out there thinking, that is a common misconception; however, when your baby cries all night and you are only able to pump drops... and I do mean drops, then I believe it is a pretty accurate assumption. But my heart longs to nurse. I nursed my first born until he was 2 years or so, and had such a wonderful nursing relationship with him. When Ava came along, things started out the same blissful way, but the quickly digressed and I may have "given up" too soon with her. I don't want to do that with Ligey. I want to exhaust all avenues to bring my breast milk back up. I have been pumping for a week now, every two hours, and always offering the breast first to Elijah. With not much luck and still only drops in the bottle, I felt deflated. That is until Jen gave me this idea. So off Dana went last night to pick up Mother's Milk Tea from Groovy Mama, and Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek Seed from the Health store, along with tons of soup, tea, movies, magazines and Popsicles for a treat. The goal: to stay resting (in bed), nourished (eat well), hydrated (lots and lots of water.... and Popsicles ;), and most importantly nurse. Elijah and I have already reconnected with lots of skin on skin time, sniffing his baby scalp, and snuggles, giggles, and sleep. Even if this doesn't work to bring in my milk supply, it has been great reconnecting with Eli. So, maybe some of you mom's are wishing you would have thought of this, a whole weekend in bed being served and treated like a nursing goddess. I know! Thanks Jen! I am sure Dana loves you too.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good ideas! You are truly dedicated, and I really hope your milk supply picks up. I always struggled with a low milk supply and had to nurse constantly to keep it up and keep them full...but I'm glad I hung in there. Now that stage of my life is over, so I'm glad I gave it all I had.

Bloggy Mama said...

I hope it works for you, Susie. I love nursing. LOVE!