Thursday, July 3, 2008

Love Is...


"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always persevers. Love never fails." -1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Recently I had a very good discussion about marriage with a friend. And this bible verse kept popping into my head. We had it read at our wedding, like most married couples do. Some don't know why they include it in their big day; however, Dana and I choose it with great consideration. We live in a society where marriage is temporary, or seen as "right now, but possibly not forever". Divorce rate is high. Relationships crumble. And many many people stay in unloving relationships. I am not a marriage expert. I only know what is true for Dana and I. What has been true since day one. We are committed to each other for infinity. We commit to each other to work on our marriage, on ourselves, and encourage each other. We commit to be loving and respectful unconditionally. Think about how hard that last statement is. We often learn what "unconditional love" means, but not "unconditional respect". Dana and I choose to be together day after day, because we want to, but also because I vowed to. There is not a day that goes by that I don't regret it.
Anyways, I guess the reason for this post is stand tall in our believe in marriage, the sanctity of it, and the vows we took. I am not ashamed, nor do I believe we are unreasonable. I am tired of people using the expression that marriage is "just a piece of paper" and having everyone applaud them for it. I am not saying that they can't feel that way, you certainly have freedom of choice. All I am saying is that I feel like a minority in feeling the way I do about marriage. And sometimes I feel like we are even looked down on because we believe in our marriage so much. Call me crazy, but I do.

"It always protects. Always trusts. Always hopes. Always persevers."

3 comments:

Sue said...

(I'm adding the same comment as I did on Kaili's blog - I think it applies).

Wow, sounds like the meaning of "love" and "commitment" has struck a chord out there in blogging world.

Love seems to be a complex "fickle" thing. Because we as people are so unique and different, there isn't a "set mold" that works for everyone. Each relationship we have along our path in life is an opportunity to grow and stretch our perceived limitations. I definitely know it isn't easy, comfortable, likable or fun at times yet I also know (having a 2nd go at this marriage thing) that it can be rewarding to overcome obstacles and lessons that weren't "got" the first time around.

"Communication" is key, "making change" is required, "commitment" is a necessity and then I believe that "love" will flourish. It's kinda like growing a garden, time, nurturing plus commitment equal reward.

Dana McCallum said...

Thanks Sue. That is what I was trying to convey, "there isn't a set mold". And yes, this did strike a chord in me.

Bloggy Mama said...

I wish you strength in standing strong in your marriage, Susie. Love is hard work, sometimes!