Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alot to Be Thankful For

There are so many things we have to be thankful for, bit how often do we slow down and praise God for the little things in our lives? I know that this last week I have been stressing about finding a new home, missing my family and finances a lot. But God is faithful and even subtly answers prayers. For example, someone in our church emailed us unexpectedly and offered to give Dana and I a date night once a month by looking after our children for FREE! In a time where Dana and I are on a VERY tight budget, this is an answer to prayer in many ways. Not only for us, but for our children as well. Then, one day last week, I was crying over our situation with our apartment. I was feeling a little like we have been taking steps backwards in that area. Going from home owners to hardly affording to rent. Then out of the blue, a good friend called me and offered some encouragement and referred me to a website for affordable housing for families. It filled me with a renewed energy and hope for the future. And not to mention some dear friends offered to take our children for a full weekend, so Dana and I can retreat (to our apartment) for the weekend. We have plans to stay up late and watch movies, sleep in, go for a walk, go to a bookstore, and this special decor store for some added dreaming. Then we are going to try a new Indian restaurant for dinner. I am so excited. Even though we aren't going anywhere, it will be so nice just to hold hands and soak up moments together uninterrupted. While being so thankful for these big blessings.... I am also reminded daily how fortunate we are to have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our back. While we have so much, there are others that have much less. Are situation will always be relevant to what is happening with us, but as a good friend reminded me today: sometimes in the midst of our "struggles" we often look outward and see someone we can help. Someone who has less. For me, I certainly would love a new house, filled with new furniture. I would love to have a large kitchen to have dinner parties in or even a nursery that I could start getting ready, but God has blessed us in so many other ways and continues to do so daily. Are those things nice? Absolutely! But everything we have belongs to Him and everything we have is to be used to glorify Him. In everything I do, I strive to give it back to him. My worries. My gratitude. My praise.

4 comments:

Mommy Needs A Time Out said...

It just shows us that when we take our concerns to God that He is there...God is so good. Enjoy your weekend with your husband...we all need it once in awhile! Thank-you for your openeness and a reminder that we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Bloggy Mama said...

" I am also reminded daily how fortunate we are to have a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our back. " Amen. Keep praising Him for that, it is a great blessing. Peace, Susie.

wandi said...

Susy God is truly good. Keep being thankful and He will truly bless you. Yes you can be thankful for a roof over your head and healthy adorable babies and a wonderful man. I thank God all the time for what I have and am reminded that there are many that are not so fortunate as I. God is good.

Trisha said...

Doesn't it feel good when we stop our constant need to move forward and better things, whether that be through material goods, improving our health, etc... it feels good to stop and say, "you know what, I'm doing really well". We rarely give ourselves the credit we deserve and we have to remind ourselves to be thankful of what we do have - I hear you on that point :)

LOVE the video - Greg and I got big smiles and a few chuckles from seeing the kids on video!

Miss you, hugs!