Sunday, June 15, 2008

Church Cheating

Since we have moved back, Dana and I have been "church dating" trying to find a fit. We haven't had any luck. In part because I think we miss our old church so much. If only an 18 hour drive wasn't so long. Everytime we attend a church, I can't help and compare it with the last one we attended. I know it's wrong and I know even Rosewood took some time before we felt at home, but my problem is that I don't want to feel that way about another church. I want Rosewood.

Today I think God understood that and he answered a prayer that I have been praying for months (even before we left Regina I started praying). We went to a new church in Penticton at the recommendation of our old pastor. We were late and still people were kind and got our kids settled into the nursery as we headed off to the sanctuary. We walked in and they were singing an unfamiliar hymn. I got that weird feeling again and wanted to run home, but then the congregation grew silent while another song began to fill the room. My heart almost stopped and my eyes swelled with tears. I hadn't heard this worship song since our last day at Rosewood. I closed my eyes and I almost felt like I was back in our prairie home, sitting beside Tiff or Teena. I opened my eyes and was saddened that I didn't see my friends beside me. The song ended and the pastor talked about Father's. He was funny and offered great insight to fatherhood. On our way out the door a few people came up to us and asked if we were new and invited us to a Father's Day Picnic after the service. Dana and I got into the car and I asked Dana what he had thought. And he replied, "This is the one."

To some, finding a church is simple feat. You just pick one and go. But after Rosewood, we felt such a connection with our congregation, that going to any other church felt like "church cheating". Like we were cheating on our spouse with a mistress. Today was the first day that I didn't feel that way. Yes, I was sad that I wasn't surrounded by our Regina friends and family. I was sad that I didn't see Pastor Jerven behind the pew. I was sad that Kynan wasn't playing in sunday school with all his buddies. But I was happy because for the first time in a long time, I saw that we could have all that here too.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for us. We really appreciate it and love each and everyone of you.

Much Love and Blessings,

The McCallums

7 comments:

Stephanie and Brad said...

Susie, it's been really neat to hear about all the Lord is teaching. The Lord will provide for your needs. He always does. Hang in there!

Bloggy Mama said...

Yay! Your post gave be goosebumps. Blessings!!

Jen said...

I'm happy for you guys. I know that was something that had become important in your lives and that you were concerned about losing. Great news!

Kaili said...

I can't believe that didn't come up tonight at the beach. I am happy you guys found a good fit! And I am proud of you guys for searching! Pro-active church go-ers! Good for you guys!
Which one was it?

Sue said...

Glad to hear you found a place that feels "like home". Once you find it, it's hard to think of your life without it! I'm sure in no time, it will be like your old church, just different. Something new to experience and share joy in!

Susie said...

Kaili... you are too funny. I talked a little bit about it to Phil, but we are going to start going to Bethel Pentecostal Tabernacle. It's on main street with the neon sign "Jesus loves you". LOL. I love that sign.

Kathy said...

I am so glad u found a church home. Hopefully they will be able to come along side you and encourage you to walk your faith. But remember they can't meet all your needs. They will disappoint on occasion, because only God is perfect. A good reminder to us all no matter how long we have been living the Christian life. Miss ya