Saturday, October 17, 2009

Burrito Baby and Other Miracles...








These are really a smattering of pictures taken over the last few days, but to start off with I want to draw your attention to the green sweet pea burrito baby above. For the last 4 days I think we have put Elijah down (not holding him) for a total of like 20 minutes... I love him so much, but this is not why. He does not like to be put down. He can be completely asleep to the point of 'konked out' (as I like to put it). I will creep him into his room, place him in his warm comfortable crib, slowly back out, and as soon as I may head hits my pillow- I hear him. I have been so tired, averaging about 3 hours a sleep a night, I really have been at my wits end. A friend reminded about the miracle workers that perform little acts of miracles for a small fee. We use to live closer to our very own miracle, who performed Kynan and Ava's very first miracles, but he is not accessible this week. So we called the chiropractor and loaded the van up for a family of 5 session with Dr. Ruben. A few other friends suggested that maybe he likes to be bundled and so we tried that too. Last night was the test run and Elijah..... passed with flying colours. He slept a whole hour in his own bed yesterday after his adjustment. And then, we started going to bed around 1am (sounds late, but this is actually early compared to previous nights). I nursed him, bundled him really tight, and tucked him in. From then on, he woke every two hours for a feeding and then went back to sleep in his own bed!!! Which meant, I got about 6 hours of sleep in total last night, which also means I am one happy mama of 3! Here is how we did it:

1. Adjustment from miracle worker (chiropractor) whom now I love and will be dropping off cookies for very soon.

2. Swaddle in receiving blanket.

3. Swaddle in knitted blanket.

4. Wrap in knitted cocoon.

5. Place hat on head.

7. Roll flannel blankets on either side of sleeping area.

8. Place hot water bottle in sleeping area while nursing burrito baby.

9. Place baby in sleeping area (CAUTION: remove hot water bottle first).

10. One final flannel blanket wrapped around whole set up for final cozy effect.

RESULT: Sleeping baby without being held... yay!

Some would think that either our burrito baby is sweltering away under all that, or that our house is an ice box but neither are true. In fact, Dana and I are sweating at night under our one blanket AND Elijah is perfectly warm with no sweat in sight. Go figure. Needless to say, I am super happy now that I am some what functional again (I am not a happy girl with no sleep).

The rest of the pictures are just a smattering of what has been going on here...

Ava news:
She is officially potty trained. We have very little accidents. She goes in the toliet! Only wearing pull-ups at night and on long trips. She got a baby stroller and diaper bag as a reward for her success and she loves it... as you can see her sitting in it above.

Kynan news:
Loves Elijah... he often wants to hold him, sing to him, comfort him. And is very demanding that I nurse as soon as he starts to cry. He has a real 'daddy's heart'.

Dana news:
The only thing I can say about this man is that I am so in love with him and so thankful for him everyday. He has been so helpful this week, not complaining for the lack of sleep he is getting too. He feeds me, makes sure I am hydrated, tries to give me 'cat naps' for as long as possible, and is being the best dad to our older two playing all day with them and never stopping with the pouring out of love. He amazes me and this week reminded me with every moment why I am so blessed to be married to him. I love you Dana-bear!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Josie got that same doll set for her birthday. She loves it!

I was glad to be able to sit and visit with you for awhile this afternoon. And of course, wonderful to get to sit and hold (and smell!) Elijah for a bit.

I'm glad you have Dana and that he's really stepping it up in the daddy/husband department this week. Lucky you. :)

Bloggy Mama said...

Fantastic and fabulous, all at once. I hope Elijah sets himself onto a good sleep/eat schedule for you, soon. Sleepless is no fun. Baby blessings...

Sue said...

So loving the pictures! So cute. Wow, that Ava sure is growing. It's amazing when you put a newborn next to toddlers how "huge" they look!
Baby Burrito sure looks like his big bro - going to be a handsome kid!
Love, love the green sweet pea outfit and the ears on the hat with the red outfit. So cute.
Hugs to you all. :)