Friday, May 14, 2010

Singlehood

So I never realized how much work is involved with being a single mama. Since Dana has left for school, I have gotten just a taste of single-hood and it tastes bitter. I had these grandeur plans of sewing and scrapbooking in the evening and playing with the kids during the day. Keeping up on my chores and maintaining an orderly home. And capturing memories watching my children joyfully play soccer in the evening. Of course, this is not the case. I have done NO sewing or scrapbooking in the evening. Instead I frantically try and run around and clean up from the day. Dishes, check. Counters, check. Floors, check. Toys, check. Laundry..... do later. The orderly home only happens because I do it when the kids are asleep. Then when 9:30-10pm hits, it's off to bed as morning comes early in our home. And joyfully watching the kids play soccer??? HA! Ava goes limp whenever she crosses the white line on the field. She is far too interested in the lady bugs and what Kynan is doing to chase after some dumb ball. She was even right in front of the net, wide open and a teammate passed to her. She didn't even look up. The ball, and the entire team, passed her by and she was still looking at the ground (probably for ladybugs). This would all be fine, cute and a wonderful part of growing up, IF I didn't have Eli crying in the backpack because he is just so tired OR Kynan running off with who knows who going who knows where. An hour soccer commitment quickly turns into an eternity of H-E- 'double hockey sticks'. But there are things I have enjoyed: a bed to myself (Well not entirely, Kynan sneaks in with me but at least he doesn't snore), being able to watch movies and shows that only I really like, cooking what I want, and not really worrying about what I look like (I like to dress up for my man... when I can). And I have enjoyed having the kids all to myself. They really have taken the adjustment rather well and I am so proud of their 'helping out' attitude. {It's all a facade. I HATE it and I desperately want my husband home} So all in all.... only 6 more weeks and 2 and a half more hours to go. Does anyone have a time portal?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

6 weeks!! You poor thing! I have done only about 6 days solo (and without the van) with my 3 and it is tough! I hope the routine gets a little easier for you, and you'll probably have it all together and he'll come back and you'll all need to readjust again!